Last week Ma’lik Richmond rejoined the Steubenville High School football team and the fallout from the school and school board’s decision was huge. Huge enough that several petitions were started and the change.org petition “Remove convicted rapist from Big Red football team” has already reached almost 40,000 signatures. That is more signatures than the entire population of Steubenville, Ohio. That is 4 times more people than their 10,000 seat football stadium holds.
On Tuesday, local businessman, Mark Nelson attended a Steubenville City Council meeting and stood before the council to ask that they make a public statement regarding the decision to allow Ma’lik back on the football team for Steubenville High School.
“I am asking council to draft a statement because the world looks at Steubenville and doesn’t see a public outcry. Some of us are outraged because the school district is not handling the situation properly,” Nelson said. “The school district lowered the bar to accept someone who committed a crime against a woman. What does this say about the team and its players? This is especially grievous when it makes the national and international news.”The school district decision was not well thought out and I encourage the city to make a statement to the world that we all don’t feel this way,” Nelson added.
Do you want to know how Steubenville City Council responded? They essentially told the world again that they don’t care about rape. City Councilman Kenny Davis claims that his town has been unfairly painted in a negative light because of the rape case but via his very words this evening he affirmed that conception about Steubenville. When referring to the VICTIM he referred to her as “his accuser”. OH REALLY! Accuser? The boys were adjudicated delinquent by a judge; therefore the accusation was proven and determined to be the crime of RAPE. Why couldn’t Mr. Davis refer to Jane Doe as the victim? As far as I am concerned his statement gives the appearance that he doesn’t believe a rape occurred. What was so difficult about calling it what it is? Accuser is so disrespectful and minimizes what happened to Jane Doe.
THAT is why people are mad, Mr. Davis. The victim blaming that continues to occur is despicable. The fact that Ma’lik was allowed to return to the field sends the message that there is no accountability for criminal conduct. What are others on the team to think? That it’s okay to rape because you’ll still be on the team? Steubenville educators and administrators went out of their way to protect a football program over the victim – even so far as committing felonies to do so.
Davis claims that the town has been “unfairly” painted in a negative light. Let me break it down for you, Mr. Davis. It does not matter that your town has more churches than bars. That means jack all. A rape happened in your town and there was an attempted coverup by Mike McVey and others. Adults in your town maligned a young girl and victim blamed her and continue to do so.
Your town is being painted in a bad light because of your behavior and the continued enabling of rape culture. No one cares if you are a lifelong Catholic; again that has jack to do with anything. We’re talking about the decision to let a Tier II registered sex offender back on the field. Forgiveness has nothing to do with it either. Where in your word vomit did you say one word about Jane Doe? What about her? What about her second chance? Does she get a do over?
I don’t think you have to worry about people coming to Steubenville and staying. From the looks of things it would appear that people are going to avoid Rapeville like the plague.
It was reported today that Ma’Lik Richmond has rejoined the Steubenville High School football lineup.
Ma’Lik Richmond, one of two teens convicted in the rape of a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville, was back on the roster at Steubenville Big Red as of Monday morning.
Richmond was found delinquent of raping a 16-year-old girl in March 2013, and must register as a Tier II sex offender every 180 days for 20 years.
Richmond was released from an Ohio Juvenile Detention Center on January 6, 2014, and in June of this year, the 7th District Court of Appeals upheld his sexual offender classification.
I don’t know why I am shocked. I mean, didn’t we all assume this was going to happen? Really, why would this school care about what people thought about them or that they look more like rape apologists than they ever did? It is very obvious – even two years later – that Steubenville High School and the school board could give two shits less about rape.
Steubenville High School has multiple employees/educators/administrators who have been charged for being LIARS and who tried to PROTECT a football program by obstructing justice, tampering with evidence….did I mention LYING? Why would such a fine and upstanding school district give a shit what the world thought of them after their football players and students broadcast rape over social media and then pretended to NOT know what rape was? Where is the change? In two years how have they contributed to changing rape culture? Where is the outrage from the locals that a registered sex offender is being allowed back on the field? Or does it matter as long as Big Red gets the wins?
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine even ordered one plea bargaining Steubenville principal, Lynette Gorman, to educate students and school officials about the seriousness of sexual assault and the need to report these incidents. Did she? Where are these educational materials? Is she upset that a registered sex offender is being allowed back on the field?
How is anyone in Steubenville to take rape seriously when one of the perpetrators is allowed back on the team? What kind of a message is this sending to the kids? That it’s okay to rape – just don’t put it on
Twitter? Steubenville is the poster child for rape culture around the world and it was of their own doing…or lack of doing. Not once did city leaders ever say this will never happen again. They have done nothing to change the attitudes in their town and have had two years to do so.
WHAT has Steubenville City Schools done to insure that nothing like this ever happens again? Anything that they may have attempted to do has just been nullified by rewarding a registered sex offender by allowing him back on the team. Is this distraction going to be beneficial to the other team members when opposing teams taunt them as they have in the past?
Steubenville School systems does not give a shit about rape, about rape culture, or about anything other than WINNING football games.
I wanted to post an update that McQuown has hung up his shoes and his nefarious walk for “homeless veterans” is over. GOOD! Had he been transparent as he vowed he would and proven that the donations received actually benefited homeless veterans this would have had a different ending.
This is also a reminder to people that when you feel compelled to donate to a charity or organization you should research it first to determine if it is legitimate or not.
Several months ago I was approached by a group of veterans who investigate and expose stolen valor. If you aren’t aware of what stolen valor is – to define it simply is – it is an individual who embellishes his military career or military accomplishments. For the past few years, this group has been trying to put a stop to a walk across America being done under the guise of assisting homeless veterans. Well, actually the mission of the walk has apparently changed over the course of the last 3 years to accommodate and stave off the “haters”. Haters is what McQuown and his “event coordinators” label anyone who speaks out against his alleged fraudulent activity. Generally the “haters” ends up being those kind folks who donated money to Mr. McQuown and later found out that they were duped and that not one dime of any donation received by him has been appropriated to any veterans issues; nor has one dime been financially accounted for when donors have demanded proof of where the funds have gone or were spent.
This post is going to be lengthy so please bear with me but it is important to see all of the evidence and how the puzzle fits together with all of the evidence that is out there. Mr. McQuown is a con-artist and his job is to defraud good people out of their money.
McQuown is a discharged US Marine. He has claimed to have been given a bad conduct discharge and an other than honorable discharge for being absent without leave for over 200 days. Most Marines will tell you that this length of time is considered desertion, but McQuown was never charged with desertion. General consensus is that he was such a shit bird that the Marine Corps just got rid of him on an other than honorable discharge — which is still REALLY bad. McQuown makes a big deal about how or why he wasn’t charged with desertion and that because he wasn’t charged he’s not a “deserter” Tomato, tomato. It’s semantics at this point, and even though he claims that he took his ID card with him and had planned on going back the bottom line is that he left his post unauthorized for over 200 days. He bailed on his duties as a Marine and never looked back until he was forced to deal with it.
I was able to find a copy of the Bill of Particulars online – thanks to
@4rcH_4ng3I_ who posted the copy on Twitter. I know I sound like a broken record when I say that this case continues to get stranger and stranger with each court hearing, but it’s true. This case is like a rotten onion. The more you peel back layers the more funk that lies underneath. This past court hearing didn’t disappoint in the deliverance of the “funk”. Superintendent McVey’s attorney had asked that the State provide a Bill of Particulars regarding allegations against their client. I have included the 4 pages that were posted, and transcribed from page 4 which reads as follows:
- Nature of Offense: Obstructing Official Business, specifically the defendant violated Section 2921.31(A)M-2, Ohio Revised Code.
- Conduct of Defendant, Date and Time: Michael McVey, defendant, from on or about April 5, 2012 to November 19, 2013, within the County of Jefferson aforesaid, in violation of section 2921.31(A) of the Ohio Revised Code, did without privilege to do so and with purpose to prevent, obstruct, or delay the performance by a public official of any authorized act within the public official’s official capacity, did commit an act that hampered or impeded a public official in the performance of the public official’s lawful duties, to wit: including but not limited to the following: deleted emails, “wiped” computer(s) (and/or had someone else “wipe” computer(s)), failed to comply with subpoenas served upon him, failed to provide information regarding an investigation the school undertook and/or lied about an investigation that the school undertook, manufactured email(s) with false or misleading information, directed others to create record(s) after the fact, and/or created a misleading timeline after the first subpoena was served upon him.
After all of the publicity surrounding the Steubenville case, it is hard to comprehend that ANYONE in their right mind would attempt to protect their own when it comes to sexual abuse allegations within a school system. That is exactly what is happening in Delbarton, WV by school administration at Burch Middle School.
On Thursday West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrissey filed an injunction against several employees at Burch Middle School and the Mingo County Board of Education seeking injunctive relief based on allegations of sexual abuse by two juvenile boys who are alleged to be related to school administrators, as well as civil rights violations against the victims. The complaint seeks to prevent the school administration and teachers from preventing or interfering with the criminal investigation and Human Rights Commission investigation into the sexual assault allegations.
On Friday a statement was issued by school administrators which read:
“We are aware of the complaint that has been filed in the Circuit Court of Mingo County. Once the county has been formally served, we will respond accordingly. Mingo County Schools takes student safety seriously and remains committed to providing a secure environmental for all students.”
It happened…I think all of us who had been involved in the Steubenville case knew that eventually Hollywood would pick up on this story even if it became a Lifetime movie. There were just so many events that happened in this case for someone not to bring it to the big screen – from me and my anonymous commenters being sued for defamation of character in an attempt to silence us to KYAnonymous being raided for not “hacking” a football fan site to six school employees and/or coaches being indicted by a special grand jury for obstruction of justice, and other charges. Bottom line is this case has pissed off a lot of people: the good, the bad, the ugly, but it has also forced an open discussion about rape culture and bystander intervention. Had ONE person stood up that night and done the right thing — none of us would even be having this discussion.
There is an opportunity here for this film to reach millions of adults and teens alike to frankly and candidly discuss rape culture and encouraging them to be THAT person who stands up to do the right thing. Like the concept of the movie or not, Deric, Michelle and thousands of others did something magnificently profound and beautiful: They stood up and did something honorable. They made the people of the world stop for a moment and acknowledge rape culture and victim blaming. Rape culture DOES exist and people are now candidly talking about it. Universities, schools and people gathered around water coolers at work are discussing rape culture. Parents are openly talking to their children about it.
I hope Brad Pitt and Plan B Entertainment expound on this and keep this discussion moving forward in a positive and effective manner.
The following is part three of a series involving a 2014 New Mexico double murder trial. I look forward to your responses to this case and discussing the court system process in America. –
Find me on Twitter @EllamentryMDW
Reasonable Doubt Part 3
Ronald Santiago spent two and one half days in the psychiatric ward at Kaseman Hospital while Secret Service (SS) agent Brian Nguyen began to dig into the self-proclaiming criminal’s past. Santiago had volunteered he committed a crime, was very anxious and gave more information than asked for at their first meeting. This combination gave the agent cause to look deeper. At first glance, Santiago seemed like your standard straight up guy. He told Nguyen he had no prior trouble with the law, held down two jobs – a paid his taxes type fellow. Those jobs peaked Nguyen’s curiosity.
Santiago worked at Countrywide, the same office that had dealings with Greg and Bernadette Ohlemacher the summer of their deaths. He also worked as an armed security guard in the northeast foothills of the city. Although individually, these jobs would appear innocuous, nearly every law enforcement agency was aware of the double homicide ten months earlier. Nguyen put the pieces together, including the discovery that Santiago qualified for his NM state firearms license required to work that second job with a Ruger 9mm. It was time to have a different type of conversation with Santiago.