Nathaniel Richmond: Sins of the Father

Early this morning after allegedly drinking all night, Nathaniel Richmond, of Steubenville, Ohio laid in wait to carry out an assassination attempt of Common Pleas Judge Joseph Bruzzese. Richmond fired his weapon at the Judge, and Judge Bruzzese who was carrying a weapon fired back. A probation officer who was also nearby immediately assisted the Judge and fired at Richmond. Judge Bruzzese was wounded and is in an area hospital after having surgery for his injuries, and Nathaniel Richmond was killed in the gunfight. It is unclear who fired the fatal shot.

I was on Twitter this morning when news of the ambush began trickling out.  Nate “Snake” Richmond is well known to local law enforcement in Jefferson County.  He has been alleged to have gang ties with the “Chicago Boys”, and many relatives of his have been federally indicted for drug trafficking and gang activity.  Nate Richmond is also the father of one of the boys adjudicated delinquent in the Steubenville rape case.  Almost immediately, the sins of the father were being connected to his son’s crime by pointing out that he was Ma’lik’s father.

Nathaniel Richmond did not raise Ma’lik nor did Ma’lik live with his biological parents as a minor child.  A well respected Steubenville family raised Ma’lik.  By Nathaniel Richmond’s own admission, he was not in his son’s life, but right away on Twitter and in the media it was being alluded to that Nathaniel went after the Judge because of the rape case.  Judge Bruzzese was not involved in the rape case.  A visiting Judge from Hamilton County presided over the case.  From initial information it is obvious that Richmond did not ambush the judge as revenge for the case.  Anyone media outlet saying as much is only exploiting the rape case for the purpose of click bait.

I have been told by sources that the ambush was gang related, that other judges in the county were under protective service and their families have security details for the time being until all of this is sorted out.  Richmond also had a wrongful death case filed against the Jefferson County Metropolitan Housing Authority that was before Judge Bruzzese.  I am unsure of specific details, but Richmond’s mother and infant grandson perished in a fire in a home owned by Metropolitan Housing.  For all we know, he may have been unhappy about something going on with the case.  We just don’t know yet until Jefferson County and the FBI sort this out.  Prosecutor Jane Hanlin has publicly stated that this has nothing to do with the rape case.

My issue is with those media outlets and other individuals using Ma’lik Richmond as a way to craft salacious headlines and glean web traffic from it. I’m not condoning Ma’lik’s past, or making excuses for him, but using him in this way is just wrong.  No one would even give a shit about Nathaniel Richmond if it weren’t for the rape case.  I’ve already taken some flack for stating my opinion with regard to this incident, and I’m okay with that.  In this situation, I can’t blame Ma’lik for what his father did.  While Ma’lik has a past, he is not responsible for the sins of his father.

1. BG

Prinnie, believe it or not this was on national news this morning. Hubby and I were taking back roads through Kansas to Nebraska for the eclipse. Just got into Nebraska and it came on the radio station. I did recognize the Judge’s name from before. I wondered right away and thought of you. Soon as I heard a judge shot and Steubenville.

1. S4mij0

Very well said. You defender you. 😂😂😂

2. PJ

look back into snakes record, he spent time in prison and the judge that convicted him was bruzzeze, he had a list of names of judges and attorney’s and prison employees, that was confiscated in prison.

That’s interesting. So he was harboring hate or plotting some type of revenge years ago?

3. sheryl

let the facts speak for themselves, people are too quick to judge. when the answers to this crime are clear, then speak..everyone hs the right to their opinion, but sometimes its best to just be silent and let the truth solve the crime and be punished accordingly.

4. Luanbe

I couldn’t agree with you more. Ma’lik was charged, found guilty, sentenced, served his time and was released. Now that’s how our juficial system works, right, you’re supposed to be able to continue a life now. All Nate was to Ma’lik was a sperms donor.

Yep. By his own admission he stated that he had not been in his life. I know I’ve been staunch in my opinions about this case, but I just can’t in my heart not speak out about the media and others using Ma’lik as a tool for web clicks or viewership. I have seen ONE media outlet report the shooting and not use Ma’lik in the headline, and that was CNN. I applaud them — they get it. Again, Nate Richmond’s crimes have shit all to do with his son.

5. Dealwithit43920

Well, we can see where Malik got his poor decision making skills….

Actually, from what I understand his father wasn’t around and when he was in grade school, if I recall correctly, he had gone into foster care with another family in Steubenville. He continued to live with them until he graduated. I have always thought that had Ma’lik not been with those boys that night, he would have never gotten into any trouble.

But what about the others who took plea agreements to save their butts? Or Evan Westlake who refused to submit DNA and got a plea deal. You remember that there was unknown DNA found in her shorts, huh? So it wasn’t just Ma’lik that was making bad decisions that night. A whole slew of kids were — from the rapists to the ones videotaping and cackling like bitches, to the little girls on Twitter that called the victim filthy names and said she deserved it.

2. Georgie

His Father was not in his life. Ma’lik did his time. Leave him out of this. He had nothing to do with this. This is just bringing up old stuff. Let it go. I am sick of this whole story.

6. Kim

Well isn’t this a case for Nurture vs Nature? A “prominent family” raised Ma’lik and he still turned out to be a piece of trash like his father.
    While the two crimes do not intersect each other it’s hard not to see that obviously trash breeds trash.

And this isn’t a question of trash — it’s about using him who has nothing to do with the shooting as clickbait, but thanks for your input. I said “well respected” not “prominent”. Thanks.

2. JeannieJo

Wow! What does that say about you calling people trash! Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you are perfect and have the perfect family!

7. Rhonda

And why Is it that Ma’lik is still bring punished for his past crime…… All the others are living their lives but not him. He’s not allowed to play for Youngstown now because of signed petition….. He was the only black male there so he is treated different!!! I feel for him!!! And I think the family that raised him did a great job. Unfortunately he was caught up in a crowd that he shouldn’t have been hanging with. Very Sad!!!

I don’t think Trent should be playing and when someone creates a petition to bring attention to that, I will support it. I am all for them getting an education, and when Ma’lik does his one year off the field, at that point if he wants to play I think he has proven himself. I don’t know. This situation makes me waffle back and forth. It sucks and you are so right about him being with the wrong people that night. He didn’t even hang out with them.

8. Rhonda

Prinnie, Well Said!!! I also agree with you!!!!!!

9. DM

This judge sentenced my son to life on a rape charge of his 4 year old daughter i had her checked by her dr. and one other one she was never touched and even took her to mental health for an evaluation no results there either so how is he serving life and these boys did far more then him and they get a slap on the wrist Jefferson County is by far one crooked county and so are their officials if people only knew what they have done and are still doing they would be put in their own jail.

Because they were charged in Juvenile Court and the sentencing guidelines are far different in juvi court than in adult court.