#ROLLREDROLL Documentary World Premier

The film is finally complete and has earned a spotlight documentary position!!

Like many small towns across the country, Steubenville, nestled in a valley in eastern Ohio, lives and dies by its high school football team. So when a teenage girl was sexually assaulted at a pre-season football party in 2012, no one came forward with information. True-crime blogger Alex Goddard set out to uncover the truth, piecing together the details of the crime through cell phone footage and photos that made their way to YouTube, as well as a nearly minute-by-minut

e account of events on social media. In the process, she uncovered both the perpetrators and the entire culture of complicity that enabled them. The ensuing trial, which made national headlines, cut to the very heart of nationwide debates about rape culture.

Nancy Schwartzman’s trenchant and timely film unpacks the constellation of factors that lead to this crime and shaped its aftermath: peer pressure, “boys will be boys” and “she was asking for it” attitudes, denial, cover-ups, and prevarications—on the part of perpetrators, bystanders, and, ultimately, an entire community. Roll Red Roll demands a disturbing question: Was Steubenville an isolated incident, or could what happened there happen anywhere?

—Cara Cusumano

1. Shesh

Sad. You are still trying to live through that rape victim and make it your identity.

It is not my identity. You are delusional.

2. Cecilia

I feel bad for the victim that she had to keep living through this over and over. She was a minor when it happened. The media got the story wrong. story due to Alexandria. I am sure I will get banned, but her own messages with Joey Ortega, Jane Hanlin who Prinnie called “gravy legs” was already on the case.
      It was disgusting what thy did to her the victim but you can’t demand action publicly like it was especially when it’s a minor.

As far as Deric goes. He’s an asshole.

You’re so full of shit. This case got attention because every kid who failed to protect her is culpable. Their parents are culpable for not raising them to take a stand. I presented the tweets, and allowed people to comment on this blog. Not going to ban you. I love it when people make my case for me.

2. Cecilia

Actually, the DA already had the information. You told the New Torker I’m a round about way they were taking too long to act. The victim had already gone to police. I’m not sure why you are the hero here. I say that the nicest way possible. The police already had them screen shots.

1. Cecilia

excuse the typos

TBH that New Yorker article had a lot of information that was inaccurate, not to mention that the journo gave away my location after I begged her not to divulge it. I’m not a hero. This isn’t about me. It’s about WHY the massive amounts of kids knew she was being raped and did NOTHING. That’s the question. WHY didn’t they help her?

3. Shelly

These old ladies never cover their syntax. Why don’t you go bitch to the people that made the film? This is old news, and people got tired of the people who backed the rapists years ago, yet here they are again. I understand you people are in the middle of nowhere, in an old mining town, but can you just for once stop looking so Appalachian?

It’s ridiculous that they have held onto this hatred for so long. Maybe instead of carrying around this old garbage, they can teach their children how to behave like respectable adults. Good kids don’t watch as someone is raped. Good kids don’t laugh or help spread the fact that she was ACTIVELY being raped. You disgust me and it’s very sad that you feel absolutely no shame for how you and your town reacted to the rape of a young girl, and enabled this culture by defending those responsible. ALL of them.

4. neither side

I am on neither side, however it appears to me that Ms. Goddard is the one who keeps this story going. I do not believe what happened should have happened, I believe it was a learning experience for everyone in the town, in all towns for that matter. Ms. Goddard do you have children? I don’t believe anyone no matter the age knows what they would do in a given situation when put against a wall. We teach our children no to get into a car with strangers then just pray that the candy isn’t going to trump what mom and dad preach. Another question, it was told that the boys in the film are not the boys that were found under judification I believe was the word? I understand that the boys in the film are the class of 2018-2019? Is that correct?

How about you actually watch the film and then get back to me.

Thanks.

~Ms. Goddard

5. neither side

If it were in my area I may do just that. I do not think I was being at all aggressive in my comment I apologize that you run a blog and want comments but only the ones that suit you. In my research on the subject and looking at your page it appears that you take a lot of credit for something that law officials were already aware of and working on. In everything I have read and and listened to on the film the director is trying to bring awareness not attack the kids that did wrong. You however seem to do nothing but attack the kids via your page, facebook or twitter. I simply asked a couple of questions that you didn’t answer?

I approved your comment, didn’t I? I’ve never taken any credit other than archiving the social media. You aren’t researching all that great because I have also never said an unkind word about LE there. In fact, I reached out to Eddie Lulla before I ever posted anything on my blog. Where am I attacking the kids you speak of? I have nothing kind to say about those kids who stood by and allowed a young girl to be raped and publicly ridiculed. If that offends you then maybe you are part of the problem. You should be outraged that no one did a thing to help her. Your comment is obviously partisan as you mention the “boys in the film are the class of of 2018-2019”. Obviously you are parroting information from those who are clutching their pearls about it.

Don’t know where you live but all you have to do is check the documentary’s website for locations where it is being shown or you can watch it on PBS on June 17. My initial comment to you was just letting you know that before you jump on a bandwagon maybe you should be informed first. If you haven’t seen the film, then you aren’t informed.

6. neither side

This is the last comment I will either leave or read and leave on this note….. and this comment will most likely not be “approved”. As I said in my previous post, I was not being short or nasty when I commented however you seem to be very defensive in your comments back because I am questioning BOTH sides and not just agreeing with you, which is fine as it is your blog and I won’t return because of this. I simply came here because I hadn’t been before and wondered why you were always under attack on one side, now I understand why. If you aren’t taking credit why then I must ask were you on daytime tv and why is does the only issue you have touched on in your blog that has it’s own tab “STEUBENVILLE RAPE CASE”? Where are you attacking the kids I speak of? Any online account I have seen your posts called these kids out from day 1. You blog “get over it already” but it is you Ms. Goddard that keeps the story in the news, that causes the uproar just as it has from day one. You pretend to be protecting and speaking out for Jane Doe when in fact this has all been for the good of your blog and your name, Jane Doe just wants it over with. I am not asking you to say anything kind to about anyone involved as I agree that it was all wrong and most of those kids know today how wrong it was to let it happen. Again, I ask you do you have children? Have you never made decisions as a child or even as an adult you were not proud of? If given the chance most of those kids would do it very differently today, as I am sure you would of the things you have done in your past you aren’t proud of. I understand “back in the day you were quite the party girl”. That being said how would you like to have someone like yourself pointing out what you did wrong or the terrible situation you were put in 7 years later? I never said anything offended me, have you read anything I have written? I have said several times how wrong it was and that the actions should not have been excused. I do not think anyone thinks “nobody should have helped her” most just want to let the past be the past after 7 years …. including Jane Doe but we all have to relive it though YOUR story with this film. As I said I have NOT watched the film but would like to see how it actually does play out. Is it as Nancy says to raise awareness to a terrible thing that happens EVERYWHERE not just Steubenville, or is it just 90 minutes of bashing a bunch of kids and reliving a terrible moment for the girl? One last note…You didn’t answer AGAIN, are the boys or aren’t the boys in the file the class of 2018-19 NOT the boys guilty of the crime? Where is the fairness in that and if that is true I believe it will be a long time before this is out of the news and laid to rest. .I am VERY informed of the situation and what really happened, I don’t need to see the film for that. I lived it, every minute of it and my son was only in grade school at the time being called rapist when he carried the ball as a ball boy on the field because of attention you drew to the town instead of allowing the OUTSIDE judge and prosecutor to do their job. I have reached out and asked the film be shown here after all if someone is going to write about us as a whole don’t we have the right to see it???