Category Archives: Uncategorized
Last week Ma’lik Richmond rejoined the Steubenville High School football team and the fallout from the school and school board’s decision was huge. Huge enough that several petitions were started and the change.org petition “Remove convicted rapist from Big Red football team” has already reached almost 40,000 signatures. That is more signatures than the entire population of Steubenville, Ohio. That is 4 times more people than their 10,000 seat football stadium holds.
On Tuesday, local businessman, Mark Nelson attended a Steubenville City Council meeting and stood before the council to ask that they make a public statement regarding the decision to allow Ma’lik back on the football team for Steubenville High School.
“I am asking council to draft a statement because the world looks at Steubenville and doesn’t see a public outcry. Some of us are outraged because the school district is not handling the situation properly,” Nelson said. “The school district lowered the bar to accept someone who committed a crime against a woman. What does this say about the team and its players? This is especially grievous when it makes the national and international news.”The school district decision was not well thought out and I encourage the city to make a statement to the world that we all don’t feel this way,” Nelson added.
Do you want to know how Steubenville City Council responded? They essentially told the world again that they don’t care about rape. City Councilman Kenny Davis claims that his town has been unfairly painted in a negative light because of the rape case but via his very words this evening he affirmed that conception about Steubenville. When referring to the VICTIM he referred to her as “his accuser”. OH REALLY! Accuser? The boys were adjudicated delinquent by a judge; therefore the accusation was proven and determined to be the crime of RAPE. Why couldn’t Mr. Davis refer to Jane Doe as the victim? As far as I am concerned his statement gives the appearance that he doesn’t believe a rape occurred. What was so difficult about calling it what it is? Accuser is so disrespectful and minimizes what happened to Jane Doe.
THAT is why people are mad, Mr. Davis. The victim blaming that continues to occur is despicable. The fact that Ma’lik was allowed to return to the field sends the message that there is no accountability for criminal conduct. What are others on the team to think? That it’s okay to rape because you’ll still be on the team? Steubenville educators and administrators went out of their way to protect a football program over the victim – even so far as committing felonies to do so.
Davis claims that the town has been “unfairly” painted in a negative light. Let me break it down for you, Mr. Davis. It does not matter that your town has more churches than bars. That means jack all. A rape happened in your town and there was an attempted coverup by Mike McVey and others. Adults in your town maligned a young girl and victim blamed her and continue to do so.
Your town is being painted in a bad light because of your behavior and the continued enabling of rape culture. No one cares if you are a lifelong Catholic; again that has jack to do with anything. We’re talking about the decision to let a Tier II registered sex offender back on the field. Forgiveness has nothing to do with it either. Where in your word vomit did you say one word about Jane Doe? What about her? What about her second chance? Does she get a do over?
I don’t think you have to worry about people coming to Steubenville and staying. From the looks of things it would appear that people are going to avoid Rapeville like the plague.
It was reported today that Ma’Lik Richmond has rejoined the Steubenville High School football lineup.
Ma’Lik Richmond, one of two teens convicted in the rape of a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville, was back on the roster at Steubenville Big Red as of Monday morning.
Richmond was found delinquent of raping a 16-year-old girl in March 2013, and must register as a Tier II sex offender every 180 days for 20 years.
Richmond was released from an Ohio Juvenile Detention Center on January 6, 2014, and in June of this year, the 7th District Court of Appeals upheld his sexual offender classification.
I don’t know why I am shocked. I mean, didn’t we all assume this was going to happen? Really, why would this school care about what people thought about them or that they look more like rape apologists than they ever did? It is very obvious – even two years later – that Steubenville High School and the school board could give two shits less about rape.
Steubenville High School has multiple employees/educators/administrators who have been charged for being LIARS and who tried to PROTECT a football program by obstructing justice, tampering with evidence….did I mention LYING? Why would such a fine and upstanding school district give a shit what the world thought of them after their football players and students broadcast rape over social media and then pretended to NOT know what rape was? Where is the change? In two years how have they contributed to changing rape culture? Where is the outrage from the locals that a registered sex offender is being allowed back on the field? Or does it matter as long as Big Red gets the wins?
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine even ordered one plea bargaining Steubenville principal, Lynette Gorman, to educate students and school officials about the seriousness of sexual assault and the need to report these incidents. Did she? Where are these educational materials? Is she upset that a registered sex offender is being allowed back on the field?
How is anyone in Steubenville to take rape seriously when one of the perpetrators is allowed back on the team? What kind of a message is this sending to the kids? That it’s okay to rape – just don’t put it on
Twitter? Steubenville is the poster child for rape culture around the world and it was of their own doing…or lack of doing. Not once did city leaders ever say this will never happen again. They have done nothing to change the attitudes in their town and have had two years to do so.
WHAT has Steubenville City Schools done to insure that nothing like this ever happens again? Anything that they may have attempted to do has just been nullified by rewarding a registered sex offender by allowing him back on the team. Is this distraction going to be beneficial to the other team members when opposing teams taunt them as they have in the past?
Steubenville School systems does not give a shit about rape, about rape culture, or about anything other than WINNING football games.
The following is part one of a series involving a 2014 New Mexico double murder trial. I look forward to your responses to this case and discussing the court system process in America. – Ella Mentry Find me on Twitter @EllamentryMDW
We have seen it on the weekly network crime shows. The defense attorney never reveals whether or not his or her client is guilty of murder. It makes no difference. The job is all about reasonable doubt and convincing 12 men and women of its existence.
We begin with some background. Just before dawn on August 2, 2005 a 911 came into the dispatch center of the Albuquerque Police Department (APD). Renee Ohlemacher, 20, was on the other end of the line claiming to be hiding in her bedroom closet because she had heard shouting, screams and gunshots coming from her parents’ room across the hall, followed by heavy hurried footsteps pounding down the stairs.
Nothing says “we don’t need no danged ol’ accountability here” like allowing educators charged with failing to report child abuse to be back in a position to keep a watchful eye out for the safety of children. *sarcasm* If the residents of Steubenville want to figure out why the world looks down at their town with an air of disgust, they should be asking their school board what the heck they were thinking by allowing individuals who are accused of failure to report child abuse to be allowed back to work overseeing the safety and well-being of school children.
Updated: Wednesday, December 4 2013, 11:15 AM EST By: NEWS9
STEUBENVILLE, Ohio — Two Steubenville City Schools employees who were indicted by a special grand jury have been permitted to return to work. The school board returned Lynnett Gorman and Seth Fluharty to their positions effective Dec. 9., according to a news release from the district.
On Wednesday, the Steubenville Board of Education released the following statement:
“After learning that three School District employees were indicted by a special grand jury convened by Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine, the Board of Education of Steubenville City Schools placed the indicted employees on administrative leave. After review with legal counsel and Ohio professional organizations the Board returned Lynnett Gorman and Seth Fluharty to their positions as of December 9, 2013. The two employees have good work records and are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
The Board has no information about the evidence leading to these charges, and any questions about the charges or the criminal investigation should be directed to the office of the Ohio Attorney General.
Our primary focus is on making sure the School District is able to conduct the business of educating our students.” Superintendent Mike McVey Gorman and Fluharty were all put on paid administrative leave on Nov. 25 after Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced their indictments.
Gorman, principal of West Elementary School, is charged with failure to report child abuse or neglect while acting in official capacity in a school district, which is a fourth-degree misdemeanor. Fluharty is charged with failure to report child abuse or neglect while acting in official capacity in a school district, which is a fourth-degree misdemeanor. He is a wrestling coach at Steubenville High School and elementary school teacher.
A lot of people have emailed asking about a forum to discuss the Steubenville case. I have set one up for those interested. I will try to post news related items regarding the case. I’ve been really busy lately – and have had little time to really devote to writing or updating the blog.
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
October 23, 2013
Dan Tierney: 614-466-3840
Eve Mueller: 614-466-3840
Second Indictment Issued by
COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio grand jury investigating whether other laws were broken in connection with the rape of a 16-year-old girl by two high school football players last year has issued its first indictment, charging a school employee with interfering with a criminal matter.
The indictment announced Monday by Attorney General Mike DeWine charges William Rhinaman with tampering with evidence, obstructing justice, obstructing official business and perjury.
Rhinaman, of Mingo Junction, was arrested Monday afternoon after the charges from Friday’s indictment were made formal, DeWine said. Rhinaman, 53, was scheduled to make his first court appearance Wednesday.
Several months ago the Limberios family came to me to help them get information about their son’s case out. I was glad to help and things are picking up speed, although sometimes the wheels of justice do not turn as fast as we would hope. Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s office is involved and a special prosecutor has been assigned to the case. However, the Limberios family is trying to get national attention on Jake’s case and the poor investigation conducted by Sandusky County.
Don’t forget to mail out your letter’s tomorrow! Addresses are:
1. John Walsh
Po Box Crime TV
Washington, D.C 20016
2. Nancy Grace
1 CNN Center
Atlanta, GA 30303
3. Dr. Phil
5482 Wilshire Blvd. #1902
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Once again the Limberios family is very Thankful for everyone help and effort during this time.
This post is going to be short and sweet and one that is not going to address particulars, but one that is hopefully meaningful and provokes thought and ultimately — action. The grand jury begins selection tomorrow and will convene next week. Rather than pointing fingers and accusing others of creating a path of destruction through Steubenville, it is time to let go of the hate and move forward. Nothing good ever comes of holding onto negativity. This can only happen when that one person has the audacity and courage to be the one person standing to create change. The ball is in your court. Healing begins with change.
Last night a gentleman contacted me about two Weirton, WV families who were in dire need of supplies for their children. The families needed baby diapers (sizes 1, 5 and 6) and Similac with iron formula. The children range in ages from 2 to 10 years old. Through the use of social media we were able to get donations of food cards, gift cards and many people are sending the children much needed clothing.
While waiting for the mail to make its way to West Virginia, the kids are going to need to eat. I spoke with Rob at Fox’s Den Pizza in Weirton and he has agreed to take phone donations towards a gift card for pizza for the weekend. You can call (304) 723-3697 and ask for him. He will take your cc info towards gift certificate donation.
A very special thank you to everyone who has helped and to Kathi Eastham, owner of Fox’s Den for helping these families out!!