Charges Dropped Against McVey, Former Steubenville Superintendent

It was announced today that the court accepted a plea from Mike McVey.  McVey agreed to resign from the Steubenville City School system and tendered his resignation this morning.  The school board accepted it this evening after a special executive session.   The agreement states McVey will not seek any employment with city schools, nor have any contact with school board members or the administration, witnesses or co-defendants in the special grand jury. According to the State of Ohio, they were not confident that they had enough evidence to get a conviction as far as whether McVey wiped systems or deleted emails. Angela Canepa, assistant attorney general, said the evidence in the case may not have been able to prove it was McVey who deleted e-mails and other information on his computer as believed by the grand jury. Canepa said there wasn’t much direct evidence against McVey. She added there was … Continue reading →

Second Indictment Issued by Steubenville Special Grand Jury

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 23, 2013 MEDIA CONTACTS: Dan Tierney: 614-466-3840  Eve Mueller: 614-466-3840 Second Indictment Issued by Steubenville Special Grand Jury (STEUBENVILLE, Ohio)—Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine today announced that a second indictment has been issued in the special grand jury reviewing whether additional crimes were committed regarding the Steubenville teen rape case. Hannah M. Rhinaman, 20, of Mingo Junction, was indicted by the grand jury on the following counts: Two counts of Receiving Stolen Property, a fifth degree felony One count of Grand Theft, a fifth degree felony The charges against Hannah Rhinaman are related to incidents that occurred at Steubenville City Schools. However, the charges are separate and unrelated to the previous indictment issued against her father, William Rhinaman, on October 7. If convicted on all counts, Hannah Rhinaman could be sentenced to up to three years in prison. The grand jury adjourned today until a future … Continue reading →

First Indictment Handed Down in Steubenville Case

COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio grand jury investigating whether other laws were broken in connection with the rape of a 16-year-old girl by two high school football players last year has issued its first indictment, charging a school employee with interfering with a criminal matter. The indictment announced Monday by Attorney General Mike DeWine charges William Rhinaman with tampering with evidence, obstructing justice, obstructing official business and perjury. Rhinaman, of Mingo Junction, was arrested Monday afternoon after the charges from Friday’s indictment were made formal, DeWine said. Rhinaman, 53, was scheduled to make his first court appearance Wednesday. Source:  http://nypost.com/2013/10/07/it-guy-indicted-in-steubenville-football-players-rape-case/ … Continue reading →

Clearing Up the Defamation Rumors

There has been a lot of false information being disseminated regarding the dismissal of the defamation suit filed against myself and 25 unnamed John Doe Defendants and I wanted to take a moment to clear up some of those rumors.  First and foremost, there was no settlement in terms of agreements not to discuss the case or even stop talking about Cody Saltsman.  On or about December 20, the Plaintiffs approached us wishing to dismiss the defamation claim WITH PREJUDICE.  They asked if Cody  could post a statement on my blog, and I was glad to allow him to do so.  I did not HAVE to do anything, nor was I forced to post anything about the case in return for a dismissal.  I chose to provide a statement because many people were following the case and wanted to know what was going on. I was not forced to stop … Continue reading →

Public Statement Regarding Litigation

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: We believe that the real goal of this lawsuit is to discover the identity of anonymous posters so they, and future commentators on this site will be intimidated and discouraged from voicing their opinions. This tactic has a name. Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation (SLAPP) are a common tool used to silence and intimidate those exercising their right to free speech. We believe that this case is a textbook example of a cyberSLAPP suit. If subpoenas are honored and the identities of anonymous commenters are revealed, serious damage will have been done to anonymous free speech on the internet, even if the lawsuit is ultimately dismissed. For these reasons, we have enlisted the help of the ACLU of Ohio in order to fight these subpoenas on behalf of all of the John Doe defendants, and to fully address the chilling effect of this lawsuit. … Continue reading →